Articles on this Page
- 12/06/12--07:22: _"Star Trek Into Dar...
- 12/06/12--08:12: _The Beauty Of Madag...
- 12/06/12--08:28: _12 Days Of Grumpy C...
- 12/06/12--09:46: _Taxidermied Vampiri...
- 12/06/12--13:13: _First Official Imag...
- 12/06/12--13:38: _Snowflake Macro Pho...
- 12/07/12--08:16: _High-Tech Tattoos M...
- 12/07/12--11:10: _Jurassic Prankster ...
- 12/07/12--12:15: _Hyper Detailed Hand...
- 12/07/12--13:17: _20 Heartbreaking Ph...
- 12/07/12--14:25: _"Star Wars" Was Bas...
- 12/07/12--14:38: _All The Middle Eart...
- 12/08/12--11:45: _Scaling The World's...
- 12/10/12--08:52: _Shyamalan's "After ...
- 12/10/12--09:27: _"Star Wars" Christm...
- 12/10/12--10:16: _35 Questions From W...
- 12/10/12--11:29: _The Most Beautiful ...
- 12/10/12--12:26: _"Star Trek Into Dar...
- 12/10/12--14:28: _Simon Pegg Reenacts...
- 12/11/12--07:12: _The Charlie Brown S...
- 12/06/12--07:22: "Star Trek Into Darkness" First Trailer Just Dropped
- 12/06/12--08:12: The Beauty Of Madagascar Tops The Morning Links
- 12/06/12--08:28: 12 Days Of Grumpy Cat Christmas
- 12/06/12--09:46: Taxidermied Vampiric Deer
- 12/06/12--13:13: First Official Image From "The Hobbit" Of Legolas
- 12/06/12--13:38: Snowflake Macro Photography And Other Links
- 12/07/12--08:16: High-Tech Tattoos Monitor Your Health Tops The Morning Links
- 12/07/12--11:10: Jurassic Prankster Runs Amok, Is Wonderful
- 12/07/12--12:15: Hyper Detailed Hand-Drawn Map Of NYC And Other Links
- 12/07/12--13:17: 20 Heartbreaking Photos Of The Devastation In The Philippines
- 12/07/12--14:25: "Star Wars" Was Based On A True Story
- 12/07/12--14:38: All The Middle Earth Maps Your Cartographer Heart Desires
- 12/08/12--11:45: Scaling The World's Tallest Trees And Other Weekend Links
- 12/10/12--08:52: Shyamalan's "After Earth" Trailer Drops In France
- 12/10/12--09:27: "Star Wars" Christmas Cards
- 12/10/12--10:16: 35 Questions From When Gandalf Took Over "The Hobbit" Twitter
- 12/10/12--11:29: The Most Beautiful Cotton Candy You May Ever See
- 12/10/12--12:26: "Star Trek Into Darkness" Releases Tension Filled Image
- 12/10/12--14:28: Simon Pegg Reenacts Disney Meets "Star Wars"
- 12/11/12--07:12: The Charlie Brown School Of Dance
Lava and lens flares and explosions and cliff-jumping and Benedict Cumberbatch narrating!!! Watch it. Watch it now.
Bonus! The Japanese version has 12 extra seconds of footage.
The extra seconds have Cumberbatch asking someone, most likely Kirk, if there is anything he wouldn't do for his family. But does he mean Kirk's crew/adopted family or is Cumberbatch rhetorically trying to justify his character's actions as in defense of his own family?
Also, is that Spock dying like in Star Trek 2? Is the implication that certain events are inevitable despite this being an alternate reality splintered off from the Prime universe? ANSWER ME, ABRAMS!
Hat tip to VideoDumpingGround
If this island isn't on your bucket list, it should be.
Behold, the rise of the hipster hunter. - [Slate]
The 12 days of whiskey. - [Esquire]
Check out the best swag football players got in 2012, just for showing up. - [BleacherReport]
The Grinch has nothing on this cat. One photo a day for the Scrooge in your life.
Just what it says on the tin. The only thing that would make this better would be a whole line of vampire animals. Like Bunnicula!
His elf eyes can see into my soul, they're so blue and dreamy. Um, I mean, Orlando Bloom looks OK I guess.
According to Entertainment Weekly, this image is from the set of There And Back Again which is the third installment and slated for a July 2014 release. He is pictured with Luke Evans, who plays Laketown warrior Bard the Bowman.
Russian photographer Andrew Osokin shows off the delicate composition of individual flakes of snow.
Adam Savage from Mythbusters is kind of obsessed with the Dodo. - [MentalFloss]
In the future, ink could help fine-tune your workout or give you early warning about disease.
2012 was a great year for hate-watching. - [Vulture]
Jeremy Lin's Christmas tree is tiny and adorable. - [BleacherReport]
As the fight rages on, things are getting weird in Egypt. - [GlobalPost]
Mean girls never grow up. - [Elle]
Allosaurus, what are you doing? Eating fast food and ding dong ditching is so beneath you!
Professional prankster Roman Atwood dressed up a 15 foot animatronic predator and took to the streets. The results were predictably amazing.
Jenni Sparks lovingly recreated the five boroughs, down to individual buildings and landmarks.
President Obama has gotten really skinny. - [TheAtlanticWire]
Americans are skipping more vacations days than ever. - [TheFiscalTimes]
The largest swimwear parade in the world kicks off in Australia. - [TheDailyBeast]
Supertyphoon Bopha slammed into the chain of islands. (Warning: graphic content!) The death toll currently stands at 500, with over 400 missing and 310,000 displaced.
An aerial view of damaged houses caused by flash floods in Compostela Valley province, southern Philippines is seen in this handout photograph provided by the Philippine Army 10th Infantry Division, Dec. 6, 2012.
Image by Handout / Reuters
A villager walks on rope over floodwaters that flow down a destroyed road caused by typhoon Bopha in Compostela Valley, southern Philippines, Dec. 5, 2012.
Image by Erik De Castro / Reuters
A father cries after finding his son among victims of a flash flood after Typhoon Bopha hit New Bataan, Compostela province, southern Philippines, Dec. 5, 2012. The death toll from the Philippines' strongest typhoon this year rose to around 230, with hundreds missing, local government officials said on Wednesday.
Image by Philippines / Reuters
Residents cross a river in the flash flood–hit village of Andap, New Bataan township, Compostela Valley in southern Philippines, Dec. 5, 2012.
Image by Bullit Marquez / AP
A galaxy far, far away looks awfully familiar. In Star Wars And History , historical scholars compare Lucas's universe to our own.
Say what you will about Star Wars, it is a vastly rich universe full of literally thousands of years of its own history. However, it is still a fictional universe. Star Wars and History aims to analyze the main historical beats and parallels that influenced Lucas and others when creating a galaxy far, far away.
From Tatooine as a reflection of the lawless American West to the link between Jedi and Templar Knights, from our own Death Stars (atomic bombs) to Princess Leia's origins in French Resistance fighting, Star Wars has a long, intimate relationship with humanity's sordid past.
Everyone knows it isn't a proper fantasy setting without detailed maps of fictional locations. ThinkGeek has you covered whether you're a fan of the classic or prefer Dwarven map-making,
Meet “the President”, the President, is the second most massive tree known on Earth.
Photograph by Michael Nichols
Photograph by Michael Nichols
Most Christmas music sucks. Here's a playlist that doesn't. - [TheDailyBeast]
Meet the 6 types of friends your girlfriend has. - [CollegeHumor]
25 of the biggest half-time show fails...ever. - [BleacherReport]
Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. He has a lot of cred to make up for after the universally panned Avatar: The Last Airbender adaptation in 2010.
M. Night Shyamalan might not engender a lot of faith in his directorial abilities, especially since at this point he can't even be bothered to hide the plot twist in the movie but chose to blow the big reveal at the end of the trailer.
However, the screenplay is co-written by Gary Whitta, who worked on Book of Eli and wrote an episode of the critically acclaimed Walking Dead game.
So whether this will turn out to be a "You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!" or some parallel universe or an elaborate virtual reality gone on the fritz or some fourth thing remains to be seen.
Infinitely better than the infamous Star Wars Christmas Special. So what if this holiday shouldn't actually exist in a in a galaxy sans Jesus? PJ McQuade isn't going to let petty logic get in the way of awesomeness.
PJ McQuade returns with a whole new batch of tongue-in-cheek holiday cards for the Star Wars lover in your life.
Salacious Crumb And Slave Leia
Chewbacca The Red-Nosed Wookie
As always, Sir Ian McKellan was delightful.
It's almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
Located in Ciqikou, Chongqing, China, this street vendor takes spun sugar to the level of art.
Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Pine, and Zachary Quinto are having a staring contest. A sexy, sexy staring contest.
Paramount Pictures just released a new image from Star Trek Into Darkness featuring Captain Kirk (Pine) and Spock (Quinto) squaring off against a seemingly trapped Cumberbatch, who's character name has yet to be revealed. The Paramount caption has Cumberbatch's name as John Harrison though it is likely a decoy or code name.
Despite it looking like as if Kirk and Spock are about to eject the villain from the airlock, the similarities from the trailer makes fans wonder if this is the infamous "glass hand" scene from the trailer many believed indicative of the death of Spock.
If this theory proves true, which it well might since the clothing matches up, the camera is angled from inside Cumberbatch's prison with Spock showing him a gesture of sympathy.
Princess Leia fit right in. But some of the boys took a while to warm up.
Yeah, "friendships." Right.
Hat tip to LaughterKey
Note to consumers: You will not learn to dance the Charlie Brown. Linus Van Pelt III wants to help you overcome your fear of dancing.